Hill Climbing in pre-war car with Reliant engine

Keep an eye on here for both ROC and non ROC events!

Moderator: Moderators

Martingo
Well Known Member

Hill Climbing in pre-war car with Reliant engine

Post by Martingo » Wed Oct 23, 2024 10:55 pm

I have a 1934 Austin 7 special fitted with 850 Reliant engine. I’ve been looking at taking part in some hill climbing or sprints in the car and wonder if anyone on the forum has experience of this or I’d doing it.

I’m specifically interested in anyone that has pre-war car but running Reliant engine or similar period engine. It is very difficult to get information or help with how to start hill climbs with a car and engine from different periods.

I understand the Tecnical side of things and the rules etc but nobody seems to be able to avise on what class you would be eligible for, is it the 1934 chassis or the 1980s engine.

I’d be interested in anyone that has done similar

Cheers
1934 Austin Seven Special fitted with 850 Reliant engine...goes much better than it stops!

Wheaters
Reliant Geek

Re: Hill Climbing in pre-war car with Reliant engine

Post by Wheaters » Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:46 pm

I have a Liege which I built and trialled a few times with a tuned up Reliant 850 engine from a 1986 Rialto. I’ve since fitted a Suzuki Swift 1.0 3 cylinder engine.

The Reliant will be fine for your car; I never ran out of power tbh.

I did the MCC Classic trials in Class 7 and a few MGCC invite, single venue ones. The Austin Sevens are surprisingly capable. I’m not sure which class your car would be in with its later engine. It would have been originally in Class 2 but it might be placed in Class 7. However, I know that some dispensations are allowed by the clubs. I suggest you look up the MCC and the ACTC regulations which are more or less identical.

https://www.actc.org.uk/wp-content/uplo ... 2_2009.pdf